Economical AIS systems for Safer Navigation.
Smart Radio SR161, SR162 and SR162G AIS Receivers
The Smart Radio SR161 and SR162 AIS Receivers are compact, easy to install, stand alone marine receivers that monitor the channels assigned to the Automatic Identification System or AIS. These radio receivers are specially built for marine environments for the intended use of deciphering Automatic Identification System data. Most commercial vessels are required to have an AIS transponder that transmits information about the vessel and its movements. The system is designed to assist vessels with identifying the traffic around them and to help with marine safety and collision avoidance.
The SR161 is a low cost, single channel scanning receiver designed for recreation vessels and the SR162 is a full time dual channel receiver designed for recreational and professional use.
The SR162G has all of the features of the SR162 but also includes an integrated GPS and an external GPS antenna.
The SR161, SR162 and SR162G can be used with computer-based navigation solutions using a standard RS232 serial port interface.
Information output by each ship equipped with an AIS transponder includes the name of the ship, size of the vessel, the speed and direction of travel as well as other vessel and voyage related information. When attached to a standard marine VHF antenna, the AIS radios can receive these information broadcasts from each vessel and output the data as a NMEA serial data stream. This information can be used by computer-based navigation systems that support AIS and by some marine navigation hardware devices. The information gathered by a Smart Radio AIS Receiver is more detailed than what is available with radar. Now you can not only track multiple commercial vessels in your area but you can also see the same ship information that is gathered by commercial vessels and the Vessel Traffic Service.
Product Features for both the SR161 and SR162
- High-sensitivity AIS data reception
- Line of sight reception similar to marine VHF reception distances
- Very low power consumption
- Receives AIS Class A & B vessel reports
- Sends information to a PC or chart-plotter via a serial interface
- Ability to track and display information on multiple targets
- Easy installation: connect a VHF antenna (not included), 12 volt DC power and a serial cable to your PC
- Can be used with your existing VHF marine radio antenna with an appropriate splitter
- Can an be used to consolidate incoming NMEA positional data from a GPS into a combined high-speed data stream on a single serial port.
- Dual AIS channel support
Additional Product Features for the SR161
- Single channel receiver that scans between the two AIS frequencies
- When interference is detected on one receiving channel, the SR161 automatically switches to the alternate AIS channel
Additional Product Features for the SR162
- Full time dual channel receiver
- Able to receive AIS information from both AIS channels simultaneously
Additional Product Features for the SR162G
- All of the features of the SR162
- Integrated 12 channel GPS module and GPS antenna port
- 16 foot cable attached to an external, magnet mount GPS antenna